Long term volunteers commit to the work of both BBOH and FUMSIL for 1-2 years. Their leadership, expertise and old-fashioned hard work are an integral part of what makes BBOH a highly respected grassroots organization impacting communities along the Haiti-Dominican border.
All long term volunteers must be open to a 2-year commitment to living and serving in the Dominican Republic. At the 1-year milestone there will be a mutual review at which point the contract may be suspended with no penalties. Volunteers will be accepted on a rolling basis with flexible starting dates.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Committed to understanding a new culture
- Conversational Spanish or commitment to study the language in-country
- Fulfill requirements of accepted position
- Adaptable, flexible and open-minded
- “Go-getter” mindset and ability to work independently
- Willingness to work outside specific position as needed
- Attitude of learning
The following positions are currently open:
- School Sponsorship Coordinator – Design and implement a sponsorship program for our preschool in El Chivo.
- Mission House and Volunteer Coordinator – assume responsibility for the preparation of the Mission House, coordination of meals, evening activities and reflections for short term mission teams.
- Preschool Teacher/Summer Camp Coordinator – Plan and execute lesson plans designed for specific age groups in our service area utilizing the El Chivo preschool.
- Home Visit Coordinator (primarily with the elderly and homebound) – create and manage a schedule of home visits for the elderly, homebound, dying and lonely in our area.
- Hospital Rotations and Mobile Clinic Professional (medical background and proof of vaccinations required) – assist FUMSIL staff in bringing basic medical care to those living in remote isolated villages and underserved hospitals. This position requires experience in a medical field and is ideal for an RN, PA, MD, etc.
- Dentist/Dental Hygienist – Maintain office hours at the FUMSIL offices in El Llano as well as provide mobile services corresponding with the mobile medical clinic schedule.
- English Teacher – Evaluate past students, design and implement a curriculum for children, youth and adults.
- Music Teacher – Evaluate past students and design a program teaching the principals of music, singing and instruments of choice.
*It is possible to combine aspects of multiple positions for a unique schedule and list of responsibilities.
All single long term volunteers will reside in a single family home located in El Llano, Elias Pina, Dominican Republic. This is a typical Dominican home with 2-3 bedrooms. Rent, electricity and water usage fees will be covered by Building Bridges of Hope at no cost to the long-term volunteer(s). We will also provide basic furnishings, linens and towels.
*Married couples with or without dependents are provided with private housing options.
If you are interested in a long-term volunteer position please fill out the form below. We will send you our formal application along with supporting documents.